Skip to main content

A Brief History of Hampshire Middle School

HISTORY OF HAMPSHIRE MIDDLE SCHOOL

Hampshire Middle/High School began as a log cabin built in 1838 and moved to a four room two story building constructed at a cost of $3,500.00 in 1876. It was here that the first high school graduation took place in 1886 with two graduates. This step, as great as it seemed, was just the first in a series of several building projects that took place as the Village of Hampshire grew and school enrollment increased. In 1886 a building was constructed on the corner of Jackson and Warner as the home of Hampshire Grade and High School and in the spring of 1897 seven seniors became the first to graduate from that new school building.

A change in the organization and administration of the schools came in 1948 with the consolidation of the Dundee, Algonquin, and Hampshire schools to form Community Unit School District 300. This was closely followed by the construction of the present home of Hampshire High School. The move and separation from the Hampshire Elementary School came in 1951 and the current building became a middle school/high school. Since that time many additions to the present building have been made. In 1976-77, an addition more than doubled the building capacity to 830 students. In 2002 another addition to the school increased the student capacity to 1,100 students. In 2008 -2009, a new high school was completed and the current building was renovated to become a middle school only.

Phone: 847-792-3200
Fax: 847-683-1030
Hampshire Middle School
560 S. State Street
Hampshire IL 60140
Contact Us